Tuesday, February 27, 2007

It's very strange...

A couple of days ago, I wandered over to yahoo! answers because I thought it might be interesting (or at least amusing). And to some degree, it was. The questions that some people ask there, in any and all of the categories, are quite frequently bizarre. Anyway, I felt out of my depth commenting or answering for most of the sections, so I gravitated towards the one on education. After all, I'm a student and so that's something that I should know a thing or two about.

A lot of people there seem to be high school kids posting their homework problems/essays there with the expectation that someone is going to do them for them. That's a whole different story, and one that I'm not in the mood to talk about today. But some people genuinely seem to want help understanding things. I was in correspondence with one of those people today. It was over a math concept that I find quite simple, and was happy to explain it to this girl over the course of several emails. I think, in the end, that she finally got it.

I felt good for having helped her. I felt like I'd done a good deed for the day. It's not something that I would usually say about myself, but I've come to realize, that I like to help people. Not in a community service, go and pick up trash way. But educationally. I like to be able to explain things and see that they get it. To see that I've helped. I've never really thought about that before. But if that's true about me, then Teach for America looks like a great post-grad opportunity for me. Who knows, maybe I'll even be a teacher (my family would sure get a laugh out of that).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We sure would.

Anonymous said...

If things go according to plan, I'm going to have to teach. Pretty much everybody in this particular field does.

I'm still less than excited about the fact.