Thursday, February 15, 2007

Lethargy

So I was out until about 1am last night (or this morning, whatever). I set my alarm clock for 8 so that I can do my homework for today before class starts at 10:30. Alarm goes off at 8, I distinctly remember this. I fumble with my phone (my alarm's on my phone) and I vaguely recall having distinct difficulty resetting the alarm for half-past 8.

Clearly, I was incapable of it.

I woke up at 12:15.

That meant I missed Cognitive Neuroscience and the beginning of Russian. I decided that I'd call Russian quits and just go to my afternoon classes.

Couldn't quite work up the enthusiasm for that, either. So, I didn't go. I'll regret it when my Lit midterm rolls around next week, but for now I'm good.

Anyhow, that's only part of the lethargy problem, though quite arguably the part that needs to be dealt with most urgently. This not bothering to go to class thing is going to bite me in the ass, and I know it.

So I've not done any writing for days. Weeks, really. I didn't last week because last week was the week from hell, but I've no such excuse this weekend.

I'm thinking about calling this nanowriye thing quits. I want to focus on the novel-from-hell, recently retitled the mortal gods, and run it through the not-insignificant edit that it definitely needs. The whole second half needs to be re-written because it all stems from a stupid premise that I rethought to something a bit more sensible. And when I've done that, I want to focus on sending out queries.

It's one of my goals to have an agent by the end of the year.
I've still got 10 months.

However, in mildly humorous news (to me, at least) the paper from hell that I had to write last week, I got back yesterday with an A-. Considering the half-assed job I did of it, I'm frankly stunned, amazed, and amused. Of course, it will help when I flunk the midterm next week.

1 comment:

Annalisa said...

I had SO many mornings like that in college! Only most of the time I didn't remember that I turned off the alarm in my sleep (somehow I managed to do that) so I woke up very confused and distressed. One time I slept through the first two hours of a three-hour class... that started at 1:30 in the afternoon. That was incredibly embarrassing.

I first found your journal through the NaNoWriMo forums (I think) but I was too shy to make a comment until now. I really admire your commitment to writing. I am working towards becoming a "real" writer myself but I have a ways to go before I can produce volumes of work like you do. Five thousand words in one day is really good for me!

So, anyway, even though you might be feeling discouraged with writing right now, you have and admirer out there. And it's too bad when school gets in the way. School does things like that.