Sunday, December 24, 2006

Epiphany!

So I was forcing myself to write last night, just because I'm of the firm belief that if I sit there thinking about how much I don't want to write that nothing will ever get written. I don't personally happen to believe in writer's block - I think that you can write through it and revise later. (as long as the writer's block isn't happening in the editing stage, of course). Anyway, I was writing away, and thinking to myself about the comments that Miss Snark made (that Russian bad guys are way too cliche) and so I thought that maybe I should change it.

Basic rundown - Russian guy is the kinda good/kinda bad guy, and I've got an American guy that's supposed to be his counterpart, who's supposed to be a good-ish guy.

So I've decided, on a spur of the moment, to switch those roles around, and now the Americans are the kinda good/kinda bad, and the Russian is the counterpart.

Of course, that's no doubt cliche in it's own way, but it felt really right to do it. I only thought about it for a few minutes before I began to change the names and places, and I wrote 4k words today. I know that I'm going to have to rewrite everything I've written because it's both clunky and strange now that I've switched the setting from Moscow to Washington. But I'm not going to stop the flow now by going back to rewrite, and instead I'm just going to plunge on ahead and see what it looks like at the end. The only issue is that nanowriye starts in just a few days, and I'd really rather have this finished, as I want my nanowriye novels to be completely separate from this project. But we'll see how that goes.

I'm just glad that I've had this epiphany, and that I have a whole new direction to go in. (Even if it does mean I have to do research on Canada to make my plot work. Argh, research!)

(Christmas in about 40 minutes!)

No comments: