Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Milestone?

Well, I remember reading somewhere at some point that the first million words that you ever write will be crap. I personally happen to think that that is a fairly arbitrary line to choose (why a million?), but regardless of its arbitrary-ness, I have crossed that mark.

I added up all of the fiction works on my computer, and came in with about 1.01 million words.

I would love to say that that makes me some kind of literary genius.

Sadly, I fear that it does not.

I still have my nightmare quartet of books. Provisionally, they're in a folder on my laptop called "Hero Quartet", but whether that name will stick is debatable, and I'm not entirely sure why I chose it in the first place.

I've written the first book of the quartet, and written the second about 4 times so far. I still don't know which would be the most publishable first book. Now that Nano is over, I'm supposed to be working on editing the first one, which has been alternately titled The Beat of Terror and Not Immortal, and it's probably going to end up as neither of those. I like the way it's written, but it gets hugely rambly, especially towards the end. The second one, Not a Hero, is a story that I've been writing for 5 years, and I've still not found the right way to tell it.

A million words might be a milestone, but that is all and nothing more.

I will consider myself publishable when I get my first book published, and not a second sooner.

No comments: